Thursday, September 25, 2008

Don’t trust people who:

(Borrowed from David Murray’s list.)

  • Attribute their every f-up to “a perfect storm.”
  • Respond to criticism by saying they’ve been “thrown under the bus.” (What bus?)
  • Describe their strategy (or their coffee or wine or anything else) as “robust.”
  • Tell you, “I’m being perfectly transparent with you.”
  • Tell you how “passionate” they are about branding, roofing tile or whatever else it is they’re selling.
  • Say they want your feedback and thank you for your input.
  • People who start something with: "As I'm sure you know..." If you're sure I know, then why do you feel the need to tell me again???
  • People who say: "We need to make this a 'win-win' situation." Translation: "You need to do what I want even though it isn't what YOU want."
  • People who respond to anything negative by saying "It's all good."
  • People who remind you of a difficult time by responding “Good times, good times.”
  • When someone tells you, "Leave me alone: I just don't have the bandwidth to handle that;"
  • Responds with "That place would be a stretch target for me. Is there any low-hanging fruit closer?"

It might go something like this.

Hey Windi, I’d like to get your feedback. As I'm sure you know, so and so threw me under the bus. It really was a perfect storm that caused the problem. I’m being perfectly transparent with you and I’m passionate about making this a win-win situation. I know it’s all good, but I just don’t have the bandwidth to handle it. I think I have a robust strategy to get us through this but, this is a stretch target for me. Is there any low-hanging fruit closer?

Thank you for your input! Good times, good times.

No comments: