Thursday, August 28, 2008

Kicked Off of Facebook!

It was inevitable that eventually I would pick up a virus from a social networking site. I should know better. I work in IT! I’m more embarrassed than anything else. I received a Facebook message from a trusted friend to a link that looked like a YouTube link. Only, it wasn’t. But that wasn’t enough for me, I downloaded the application it prompted me to download! Then it borrowed my Facebook credentials and spammed all my FB friends with a similar message and link. Not once, but twice! I spent most of Sunday and Monday working to identify and eliminate the virus but ultimately what I think worked was Facebook disabling my account. When the dirty little bug attempted to us my FB account again and found I had no account the virus self distructed. Virus scan found nothing and all I found was the “marker” the virus left in my Windows folder.

Those two days my account was disabled were some of the most depressing days in recent memory. Since I don’t know the email addresses of many of my FB friends I worried I couldn’t get in touch with them. Because visiting FB had become a daily ritual, I didn’t know what to do with my spare time. And what about the embarrassment I felt about spamming all my FB friends with a virus? Deeper despair has never been felt … UNTIL “The Facebook Team” reactivated my account on Wednesday morning! I’m back people and will be writing on your walls, commenting on your photos, and LOL! Thank you Facebook team.

No comments: